Friday, January 3, 2014

Modified Media Fast- Day 3

I took the car today so the morning was spent grocery shopping. We came home for lunch and I took a nap while the kids played. When I woke up we stopped at ToysRUs then went to pick up Frank from work.



As we pulled up at Frank's work I thought it would be nice to take a walk. As I was thinking it Sabrina suggested it. We took a short walk in the desert. Sabrina exclaimed that we were, "walking on nature!" Both kids enjoyed throwing rocks into the deep drainage ditch next to the trail.


On the way home we stopped at Petco to get Sabrina her  promised fish. Although you cannot tell from the blurry picture, (and the pink wall in the background) her fish is a pretty greenish beta who she named Jared.

While I cooked, Frank napped, Alex read, and Sabrina painted. Then Frank left to go street preaching. Things got a little difficult for me as far as the media fast is concerned. Typically when Frank leaves on Friday night the kids and I watch a family friendly movie or cartoon. Tonight we didn't and I really didn't have a backup plan. Add to that the fact that I was tired and wanted to do nothing.

I ended up reading from the Jesus Calling Bible Storybook that I bought today. The kids really liked it and so did I. I like that this Bible Storybook brings out how the Bible stories are connected. I also like how the devotional is written as if Jesus is speaking directly to the child. After that I kinda dozed on the couch while Alex practiced his trumpet and Sabrina played loudly in her room.


The kids played with the "educational" mega blocks. I put educational in quotes because there's nothing special about this set of blocks. I could easily do the same activities with any set of blocks. They really enjoyed them though.

While they were doing that I pulled out a few games to start a game night, though I didn't really feel like it. Once we got started I did enjoy myself so I'm glad we had game night.


Our first game was Zingo, which is a twist on Bingo. I really like the Thinkfun logic games. We have quite a few of their single player games, but only two of their multiplayer games.


S'Match is another Thinkfun game. It is a memory game that uses a spinner to tell you to match either by number, color, or category.


We also played the children's version of Jenga several times.


Frank came home in time to join us for our last game; All Around Town. Players try to collect items from each store and whoever fills their card first wins.

Truthfully, this modified media fast hasn't been too bad so far. There's been a few times that I was bored and wanted to just surf the net, but other than that I don't miss the computer. Alex has even said that he's thankful that we are doing the media fast. I did spend a few minutes earlier on the computer, but it was to read one blog post and check the news.

The kids are getting ready for bed. Frank is reading and I'm about to go join him. Have a good night.

Marie-Anne


No comments: