Thursday, January 2, 2014

Modified Media Fast- Day 2

Today was a productive day for me. I organized the basket of toys for little visitors, did laundry, fed the pets, got the kids started with school, and cleaned my bedroom before noon.


The master bedroom becomes a dumping ground for things that nobody knows where they go. I am slowly putting the old saying, "a place for everything and everything in it's place," to practice. This works beautifully for the stuff that has a place. Finding homes for stuff is a process though.


The kids really focused on school this morning so that they could play outside. I was very pleased with both of them. After they finished most of their school for the day they went to the back yard. Again they got so dirty they needed showers before lunch.


This afternoon I put away things in the kitchen that didn't belong, organized the medicine cabinet, finished laundry, watered the plants and trimmed the dead leaves, emptied the litter box, vacuumed the dining area, wiped down cabinets and table, cleaned the microwave, took out the trash, swept the floor, and cooked lunch.


After lunch I took a well earned break while the kids played in the front yard with some friends. They didn't stay out long- the friends left. Then they played in their rooms while I cleaned the school room and vacuumed.


When Frank came home we both read for a while. When we finished our books, that we started yesterday, we worked together to take down the Christmas décor and clean the living room. Frank also set up the new modem and washed dishes. I got the kids' homeschool assignments ready and made a grocery list.

Sabrina wants to be with me all the time, (when she doesn't have friends to play with). She's sweet, but it drives me crazy. Today she got in trouble twice for whining and crying when I told her to do something- go play in her room and later clean her room. Tonight I needed a break from her so I was going to put on an educational DVD that we got from the library, but when I started to say, "Go to the schoolroom for a DVD.." she only heard, "GO". Once again she started whining and crying. She got sent to her room instead.

As you can see, a lot of what I did today was basic housework that would need to be done whether we were on a media fast or not. However, without the normal distractions I was much more efficient. Don't worry; I'm not going to go on and on about how much housework I do every day. I only did it today to make a point: when we say we don't have time to do something we are really saying that isn't a priority to us at that moment.

I am very tired. I'm not planning on doing much else tonight except check a few websites and put away the folded clothes. Frank is talking to the kids about homeschool stuff.

Marie-Anne

No comments: