Thursday, January 16, 2014

Developing a community- right where you are.


My grandmothers sharing a laugh. It was the people of their generation who taught me the true value of community.

When God first gave me the idea of us developing a sense of community right here, in our neighborhood, I didn't believe I was up to the job. Me, Lord??? This is me, Marie-Anne. I'm kinda quiet, keep to myself.... excuse after excuse after excuse....

Well, now that we are actually doing it, I can see the beauty of this plan. I probably know more about living in a community than most of my neighbors. I grew up in a real community. In a way I even made my own community as a kid. I was related to almost everyone on my road, but I was the one who went to visit my great aunts and uncles. I often showed up with no warning, but they always made me feel welcomed and loved. So I kept coming back and often stayed for hours.

We have already opened up our home to people from church. We often have guests, including new people, for lunch on Sundays. Before we moved we even had a weekly Bible Study that was for our neighbors and fellow church members. Now it is time to reach out to our new neighbors.

We have made a point of getting out and meeting our neighbors. Pretty much everybody we have introduced ourselves to has been very nice. A lot of them said they'd try to make it to our party tomorrow. I hope they do- I pray that they do. Tomorrow, we will invite those who come to the weekly Bible Studies that we'll be starting back up and to a monthly ladies fellowship I will be hosting.

I may not be living in the country any more, but this neighborhood can become a real community-if I am willing to get out of my comfort zone and meet people and develop friendships.

Marie-Anne

No comments: