Thursday, January 1, 2009

Ringing in the New Year; by the grace of God

Happy New Year! I sincerely hope your New Year’s was not as eventful as ours. We went to Lake Mead National Park for a picnic. That sounds pretty uneventful, doesn’t it? We saw a coyote as we pulled up to the picnic area and stopped to take some pictures. Since it was far enough away we continued with our plans for a picnic. We ate in peace, but kept an eye out for the coyote.

After a little while another couple came with 2 dogs, but they were on the other side of the picnic area. Frank said that the domesticated ones were the ones we’d have to watch out for. So we kept an eye on them as well.

Alex and I went for a walk up a hill and on the way back he wanted to run. Alex was a few yards ahead of me when the dogs charged. I tried to get Alex to run back to me as I’m running to him, but the dogs were too fast. The German Shepherd attacked Alex, but the other dog stopped. I’m screaming at the top of my lungs, “Get away from him.” The owners called their dog and this time he listened.

I scooped a terrified Alex up. Alex was crying and saying the dog bit him, which I already knew, but I had no idea how bad he was hurt. As soon as I got back to the picnic area I checked Alex and all he had was a scrape that didn’t even break the skin! It was more like a carpet burn. Praise God for his mercy!

After the owners got their dogs into their car the lady came over, (she was shook up almost as badly as I was) to make sure Alex was okay. She apologized profusely, but I don’t think it was her fault, (unless the dog had a history of being that aggressive) nobody would have thought the dog would attack us as far away as we were.

During this time the coyote moved to the other side of us and was joined by another. They were far away and absolutely beautiful to watch. People were driving up to them to take pictures and feed them from their cars, not too smart to do right near a picnic area.. Soon those coyotes were joined by two more, that’s when we decided to leave. Of course we also drove up and took pictures, but did not feed them.

I don’t even want to think about what could have happened. Alex is blessed that he wasn’t seriously injured or even killed. What if both dogs attacked? I could go on and on with the what ifs, but instead I can praise God for His protection and His mercy!

Marie-Anne

No comments: