Thursday, January 22, 2009

Obesity in Children- Who’s to blame?

When I hear about or worse see obese children it breaks my heart. The other day I saw an obese toddler with an ice cream cone and I thought, “He doesn’t need that! He needs to go for a walk!” I understand that kids, like Alex, do not want to get up and exercise when they can just play on the computer. That’s where parenting comes in.

I make Alex go for a walk with me and once we’re outside he enjoys it. Alex sees me exercising and sometimes he joins in, I try to make it fun and a part of daily life. I don’t keep candy around- it is a treat. Alex eats a salad when I eat one and most of the time his snacks are fruit. I am the parent I control what food comes into our house and how much Alex gets. I set the example with exercise. I am the parent.

Marie-Anne

No comments: