Saturday, August 9, 2008

Pregnancy Etiquette

Let’s discuss the proper etiquette for talking to a pregnant woman by a pregnant woman.

I know pregnant women are supposed to gain weight and that is a good thing, but telling me or any pregnant woman repeatedly how big she is and that she’s going to be huge is not smart and does not endear you to her. Example: I was talking to a lady at church who met just met me and she told me 3 times how big I am and what a big baby I’m going to have. Now how in the world does she know what I looked like before I got pregnant? And does she think I have hearing problems or that I have short term memory loss- is that the reason she told me three times?

If you ask a pregnant woman if she wants a boy or a girl and she states she just wants a healthy baby why should you insist that she wants a girl because she already has a boy. First of all she doesn’t get a choice. And if you already “know” what she wants why ask?

Why do people insist on telling pregnant women their labor horror stories? Are they trying to frighten the expecting mother? Do they think she doesn’t have enough to worry about?

I have come to accept that people I barely know will rub my belly. I don’t particularly like it, but I know it will happen. Why is a pregnant woman’s belly considered public property?

Marie-Anne

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People get excited about pregnancies and I guess they "forget" themselves. It's pretty frustrating. I got the added irritation of explaining that I was single and pregnant. That is a really fun one to try to explain. Sometimes, the only thing to do is smile and nod. Good luck. :-)