Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Outdoor Hour Challenge # 1


I had read about this a while back and thought it is over 100 degrees no way are we going to be spending an hour outside! However I was intrigued by the idea. According to the 10 day forecast it will be in the 80’s! We haven’t seen 80’s in a long long time! It is time to put this wonderful idea into action.

Today was our first Green Hour. Our nature walk was at some apartments where Frank and I were inviting people to church. Why apartments, you ask. It is because we live in a city in the desert. The landscaping included trees and grass. And the last time we were there there was a huge bees nest, but it had been taken down. (I wish I’d have had the camera with me when it was there.)

I told Alex that he was a “Nature Investigator” and that he had to tell me two things he sees that he wants to learn more about. Here is the official transcript of my exclusive interview with Alex:

Me: “What was your favorite part of the nature walk?’
Alex: “The ants and the feathers.”
Me: “What else did you see?”
Alex: “Nothing else.”
Me: “That’s all you saw the whole time we were there?”
Alex: “And the leaf.”

As I said we live in a city in the desert so we will have many different nature experiences from the desert to parks to mountains to the lake and, yes, even apartment landscaping- nature is everywhere.

Marie-Anne

2 comments:

Barb said...

I really think it was brilliant to visit the apartment complex! Welcome to the Outdoor Hour Challenges and I hope since your weather is cooling off you will be able to participate some more in the weeks to come.

Thanks for sharing your entry,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Frizz said...

Thank you, Barb. I am very glad that I found your challenge. I am very much looking forward to the rest of the challenges.

For anyone else who may be interested in the Outdoor Hour Challenge check out Barb's blog

http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/

Marie-Anne