Saturday, June 9, 2018

Ronald McDonald House Cookie Crew


We have decided that our work at the Ronald McDonald House will satisfy Alex's Congressional Award requirements for volunteer work. We made this decision for several reasons; it is fun, there are skills that he can develop there, every one is so very nice, and  there are other volunteer opportunities available such as making dinner, clerical work, caring cards, cleaning...


Alex does the baking completely on his own. I simply give him the recipe and ingredients, and help him a bit with time management. He also did the dishes and helped with the clean up.


I thought Sabrina could do the baking on her own with me just taking it out of the oven for her. I was wrong. I found that out when she almost put in 2 teaspoons of salt instead of 1/4 teaspoon. So I will be double checking her amounts for a while.


Sabrina does do most of it on her own, including putting the cookies in the oven. Using a hand mixer is a new skill for her. She is gaining skills and confidence in the kitchen. She also helped with the clean up.

This time I brought index cards so they could work on caring cards while their cookies were baking.

Marie-Anne

No comments: