Tuesday, February 9, 2010

How do I get kids to clean after a playdate?

Alex has some (older) neighborhood friends who come over and last time they wrecked his room and left without cleaning. This time (the second time they have come over) I was busy and they not only wrecked his room, but the hall and living room too! The girl slipped out of the house without me knowing. And when I told the boy it was time to clean up he left.

I'm not even sure I want these kids back in my house, but they are Alex's only neighborhood friends.

I did mention to Alex that I didn't think they would be allowed in his room again. Maybe he could bring a few toys into the living room, but I don't want my living room trashed either.

What advice do you have? Please post a comment.

Marie-Anne

3 comments:

Elexa said...

When Audrey has a friend over, her room is always trashed. I think it's the age. Maybe you could try singing a clean up song and establish rules.

Anonymous said...

I just had this conversation with another lady last week lol. I take a different approach than most however. Before Katie's friends come over, I tell Katie the rules:

1. They are not to go in her closet (that is where I keep the "little" toys)
2. Don't let the other kid(s) pull everything out and make a huge mess
3. The kid(s) is not allowed in the office, master bedroom, master bath, laundry room.
4. Toys DO NOT leave Katie's room unless she asks me first

I tell Katie she has to tell her friend(s) if they do something that isn't allowed. It is up to Katie to keep it all under control and she knows this.

When the kids leave, I don't make them clean up unless the parent insists. Whatever mess is left behind, Katie is responsible for cleaning immediately after they leave. She knows all this and keeps her friends out of the off limits places and keeps them from making huge messes - because she knows she will have to clean it after they are gone!

Hope some of that helped but I do things different than a lot of parents, its whatever works for you!

Frizz said...

I did tell Alex the rules before they came and I told them when they came in. I forgot to mention clean-up to them. They are about 8.

I heard Alex telling them the rules, but apparently they blew him off. I was busy in the kitchen and didn't notice how bad it was until the girl left. When I told the boy it was time to clean up he took off too.

I started to help Alex clean up bc they dumped all his toys. I made him finish by himself when he smarted off to me.

Marie-Anne