Friday, December 13, 2013

Advent of Service

I am actively searching for ways to keep Christ as the central focus of our family's Christmas. One idea that I really liked, (and wish I'd heard of sooner) was an Advent of Service. We don't celebrate Advent, but I really like the idea of doing a service a day for the month of December as a way of giving to Jesus.


So far we bought toys from Dollar Tree for their toy drive, invited our neighbors to the Christmas Play, gave to the Salvation Army, gave a Christmas book to each student in my class, baked cookies for the people at the play, gave food to a charity Frank's work participates in...

Some things we plan on are;  praying for our neighbors, giving toys to a needy family we know, buying stocking stuffers for the kids at church, giving candy with a Gospel message to the kids from our old neighborhood...

I only heard of this idea about a week ago. It has been hit and miss for us because I don't have it all planned and haven't budgeted for these things. I am still gathering ideas. I want this to be something we can all participate in and not just giving money, giving our time as well.

I'd love to hear your ideas. What other ways do you keep Christ in Christmas?

Marie-Anne

No comments: