Saturday, May 30, 2009

Reading to Kids

I am a big believer in reading to your children from a very early age. I started reading to Alex when he was two weeks old and I didn’t wait that long to read to Sabrina. Alex has a huge vocabulary that I know he has developed as a result of us reading to him. We read lots of fiction and non-fiction.

Often we read books that are a little above his level. An example would be that we started reading Clifford books before he was two and at four we are reading chapter books along with picture books. We have at least a hundred children’s books, (most of which I got at thrift stores) and we go to the library weekly. There are numerous studies on the benefits of reading to children. As a mom who loves reading I see firsthand that the studies are true.

Marie-Anne

No comments: