Monday, November 24, 2014

Homemade Laundry Detergent

After years of reading how cheap and easy it is to make homemade laundry soap I finally made it. It was super simple and only took minutes to make. All the ingredients and the measuring cups together cost $9.79 and will make dozens of gallons of laundry detergent.

I got the recipe from the following link:

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/02/no-grate-homemade-laundry-soap.html


My purpose in making my own is partly the rising cost of laundry detergent, but also every time they come out with a "new and improved" formula or a new scent I worry if Frank will be allergic. I vividly remember the time he was allergic to the dyer sheets- it was horrible. I washed everything we owned using those dryer sheets before we figured out they were causing his reaction! I never want to go through that again!

I only washed a single load until I was sure Frank wouldn't have a reaction. He gave it the thumbs up, and our clothes are clean so it works for us.

An added bonus is that this homemade version is more natural than the kind of detergent we were buying. Also there will be less trash to recycle.

Update: One gallon of this laundry detergent lasted about a month.

Marie-Anne

No comments: