Monday, March 29, 2010

Family tree

Frank had a wonderful idea for teaching Alex about his family tree. We had Alex call his grandparents (also a lesson in phone etiquette) to ask them their name and the names of their parents which he wrote down. Then Alex got to talk to each of them for a few minutes. Afterwards I explained a little about genealogy and showed him a family tree. Finally Alex made a simple family tree.

We didn’t include aunts, uncles, cousins, great grandparents, adoption, single parents, or step families, (all included in our family) though we did discuss them. (I totally confused him with single parents; maybe I should have waited with that one.)

Marie-Anne

2 comments:

Elexa said...

I tell Audrey that not everyone has a mom and dad. Nemo (in Finding Nemo) has a single parent. :-)

Frizz said...

I think it is the term, single parent, that confused him. He has friends who only live with one parent so he's familiar with the concept.

Marie-Anne