Friday, December 18, 2009

Making Family Stories into beginner Readers

Yesterday I saw a video on making beginner readers for your kids. Since Alex is always asking for funny stories about Frank and me I wrote several mostly true stories about us. I drew simple illustrations and Alex has three new books. Alex loves the fact that we are the characters. Here’s the script for a fiction story:

Alex Wants a Pet

Alex wants a pet. What pet will Alex get?
Here is a hog. Will Alex choose the hog? No.
There is a cat. Will Alex take the cat? No, he will not.
Alex sees a duck, but the duck is not the pet for Alex.
Alex goes to the zoo, but he does not find his pet.
Alex walks to a farm. Will Alex get a pet at the farm? No.
Alex looks for a pet at the pond. He sees a frog on a log, but it is not his pet. Will Alex find a pet? Yes, he will.
Alex goes in the woods. He sees a bear. A bear is not a pet! Alex runs.
A trip to the pet store will help. Alex looks at the pets, but which pet is best?
Alex sees a fish. Yes, a fish is the pet for him.

It took a little bit to reword the stories so most of the words are ones he knows, but his response has been great. For my illustrations Alex is a stick person (I don’t draw people very well) and I looked at coloring pages on the internet for the animals.

Please share stories of our family to include extended family. I already wrote a story about Jennifer, but I haven’t made it into a book. (Jennifer, do you remember the black hen?)

Marie-Anne

No comments: