Friday, May 17, 2013

Books for Boys

As you know Alex is an advanced reader. The problem is he's perfectly content to keep reading at a lower level = shorter books. I don't mind, because I don't want him reading about things he's not old enough for. However, I also want to get him to read good books at a higher level sometimes. And since I can't possibly preread every book he reads and still have a life; I greatly appreciate your input.

Some books we've enjoyed either as a read aloud or silent reading are:

Mr. Popper's Penguins
Lassie Come Home (abridged)
Charlotte's Web
The Trumpet of the Swan
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH and Racso and the Rats of NIMH
The Door in the Wall
The Whipping Boy
Ten True Tales (series)
The Danger Joe Show (series)
The Imagination Station (similar to Magic Tree House, but Christian)
Detective Zack (kid detective trying to prove the Bible)
The Littles (series)

I am pre-reading the Henry Huggins (very funny so far) and Ramona (also very funny- same author and even some of the same characters) books now for him to read and I am reading Sign of the Beaver aloud.

Some that he hasn't read yet, but will:

My Side of the Moutain
The Mouse and the Motorcycle (I'm not sure about the other books in the series)
The Jungle Book 
The Black Stallion (series)
Little House on the Prairie (series that I'll read aloud)
Caddie Woodlawn


Marie-Anne

No comments: