Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Time 4 Learning

Alex played Time 4 Learning’s free game and lessons. I liked what I saw so we ordered a month’s subscription. If you are not satisfied and cancel within two weeks you get a refund. He has access to a grade above and below his current grade. There is a “playground” where he can play games after he completes the lessons.

Likes

Short lessons on many topics
I set how long he can spend in playground
Access to several grades
Track progress easily
Interactive lessons
Some worksheets are very good

Dislikes

Some multiple choice quizes have 3 answers usually with one crazy answer
Some optional worksheets are boring
1st grade had very few science and no social studies lessons
1st grade science seemed too easy

Kindergarten

I did not plan to use kindergarten, but Alex had trouble with first grade math and Language Arts. He was getting very frustrated so I moved him back to kindergarten to boost his esteem. It worked! He is flying through the kindergarten level and really enjoying the games and getting 100% on most of it.

First Grade

Science: Alex’s favorite subject is science so we were disappointed that there were only a few science lessons and they were too easy. Alex finished them all in two days. We are glad he has access to second grade.

Math: Alex was having trouble with first grade math. He was even having trouble with things he already knows, I’m not sure why. He was getting very frustrated so I moved him to kindergarten math.

Language Arts: Alex is having trouble with this although he is reading on this level, so I moved him back to kindergarten level.

Second Grade

Science: Alex is really enjoying the second grade science lessons. In second grade he has to read some of the lessons himself. I have to be there to help him with words he doesn’t know. It is working out good for us.

Social Studies: Social Studies covers map skills. Alex already knew most of this information, but this was his first time using this knowledge. I like how they challenged him.

Third Grade

Social Studies: Since Social Studies starts at the Second Grade level Alex also has access to Third Grade. It has some really interesting subjects, but the reading is too advanced so for now we are not using it.

Overall I like Time 4 Learning. I am glad that we got it, but since Alex is flying through the lessons we plan to only keep it for two or three months. We may subscribe again when he’s ready for the Third Grade level. (I am receiving nothing for this review, I am only sharing how it worked out for us.)

Marie-Anne

2 comments:

BBat50 said...

Thanks. it's great to get such personal feedback. hers a summary of Time4Learning's 2nd grade homeschooling curriculum.

Frizz said...

I really liked Time 4 Learning. Alex enjoyed it alot and even got to where he wanted to choose what to do- he ended up doing more than I would have had him do. When he's ready for second grade we will get it again.

Marie-Anne